STATEN ISLAND, NY – An evening raid on a South Beach Houses apartment resulted in the recovery of a loaded gun, several cartridges, a glass pipe and cocaine-contaminated scales, authorities said.
Joseph Martinelli, 50, was arrested after police armed with a search warrant stormed his fourth-floor apartment on Lamport Boulevard on September 29 at around 6:40 p.m., according to the criminal complaint.
A silver and brown .25 caliber Bauer pistol was found in a closed cupboard inside the suspect’s bedroom, according to the complaint. The gun was loaded with eight rounds in its magazine, police said.
Officers recovered from the suspect’s bedroom 33 loose bullets left on a box and also a magazine containing six cartridges stored in a dresser drawer, according to the complaint. All the bullets were .25 caliber, police said.
A glass pipe containing brown and ashy cocaine residue was confiscated in the suspect’s pants pocket and on a chest of drawers outside the suspect’s bedroom, officers discovered two scales containing cocaine residue, according to the police. complaint.
The complaint alleges that Martinelli “did not have a permit or license to own” the firearm or ammunition.
The suspect was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of a firearm, criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal use of drug accessories and possession of ammunition.
Martinelli was found guilty by the criminal court in August 2018 of criminal possession of a weapon and sentenced to a conditional discharge and one day of community service, according to the complaint.
A lawyer for the accused did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
RELATED COVER: Crime on Staten Island
- Second man arrested in alleged box-cutter ax incident that triggered shelter at Port Richmond High School
- SI man pointed reed switch at victim and was found with ‘octopus’ glassine of heroin, cops say
- Cops: Ecstasy pills found during Cadillac shutdown on SI with fake license plates
- Pre-dawn raid on South Shore brings ecstasy, cocaine, stun gun and fake firearms online, NYPD says
- Racial justice advocate who staged peaceful SI protests accused of ax attack
- Cops: 43-year-old man caught with 45 envelopes of heroin after sale on SI
- Man accused of stealing tools from work vans on SI “I have to support myself,” he reportedly told cops.
- Cops: Prince’s Bay man refused to hand over knife to police after threatening incident, drugs found
- Westerleigh house raided before dawn, drug stash found, cops say; man, 37, arrested
- IS man, 39, accused of raising $ 5,000 for travel basketball team, stiffening parents
- Grymes Hill Raid Nets 2 Guns, Hundreds of Painkillers, Cops Say; 5 loaded
- Whoops! Cocaine found on the floor of a police car after arrests, cops say; 1 suspect accused of selling drugs twice a week
- “Open the registry and give me everything you have.” “Armed robber jumped over counter of New Springville grocery store, cops say
- 24-year-old accused of robbing jogger behind Tottenville HS
- ‘I have crack in my underwear,’ SI woman, 34, reportedly told police after arrest
- 3 arrested in connection with suspected drug activity in Oakwood