BURTON, SC (WSAV) – A Burton family was able to return home after a fire on Saturday – all thanks to a closed bedroom door.

On Saturday afternoon, just after 1 p.m., emergency crews responded to a house fire on Wildcat Lane. Upon arrival, firefighters report smoke and flames coming from the window of a double-width mobile home.

Firefighters entered the mobile home and discovered flames behind a closed bedroom door and extinguished the fire, which was confined to the bedroom.

The damage only occurred in the bedroom and all residents were able to escape unharmed. The chamber suffered extensive damage, but the residents chose to remain in their home.

The fire is still under investigation, but is believed to be unintentional.

Burton Fire Lt. Ethan Webb credited the closed gate with limiting the damage.

“The resident saw the fire in the bedroom, quickly closed the door and evacuated the family,” Webb said. “The closed door confined the smoke and fire to the bedroom, leaving the rest of the house intact.”

Burton Fire Department encourages residents to close all doors to the home at night before going to bed and also before leaving the house.

About The Author

Related Posts