When collecting and decorating antique pieces, it can be easy to get carried away. One minute you’ve found some lovely glasses to display in your living room, and in no time your room is looking like a circus-style hall of mirrors. Depending on how you decorate a room or even what shade of paint you use, it can create a variety of emotions. From soothing vibrations to an atmosphere more conducive to lively interactions, you ultimately control the mood of every room. So before you overdo it on antiques, there’s a simple design report that can help curb your passions.

By taking stock of each piece, you should find that it meets the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of your room will be devoted to following a certain style, and the remaining 20% ​​can be either accent pieces or antiques, according to Canadian artist Kimberley Cook. This can ensure that no room in the house is oversaturated in one style or color. Too much of a particular design, pattern, color or decor can make the room feel unwelcoming or just plain hard to look at. A room with exposed whitewashed brick and other creamy decor can be toned down with natural wood elements like an antique pine table or rich green plants kept in vintage vases. By following this design rule, you can be sure your antiques won’t get lost in the mix.